VPC is a Vehicle Communication Gateway Box between train level and coach level realized with the PowerLine technology.
The vehicle level communication can be implemented with Ethernet interfaces. The Vehicle PowerLine Communicator can create a communication network for passenger information system devices without installing additional data cables between train’s vehicles and along the coach.
The wires used by the VPC can be a simple power supply cable, a coaxial cable or shielded/unshielded twisted pair wires. The network speed depends on the used physical layer, the train length and vehicle interconnections; it can vary from hundreds of kbps up to 200 Mbps.
The system offer the possibility to have a double PowerLine train backbone for redundancy and fault tolerant purposes.
The VPC can be customized with simple or advanced user interface and boxed or rack mountable mechanics to satisfy customer requests. The VPC is an high-speed and cost effective alternative solution to WTB-MVB communication node.
- High Speed PowerLine Communication (PLC-HS) up to 200 Mbps for Train level interface
- High Speed PowerLine Communication (PLC-HS) or Ethernet for Vehicle level interface
- Low Speed PowerLine (PLC-LS) up to 2.4 kbps for Train and Vehicle level monitoring and back-up
- IP network for TCP/UDP data exchange with unicast, multicast and broadcast addressing
- High performance X86 single board computer with PC/104, PCI-104 and Mini PCI-E expansion interface
- Integrated UPS with few seconds supply for main input power failure
- Boxed or Rack mountable mechanical design resistant to harsh environmental conditions
- In compliance with EN50155, EN50121-3-2 International Railway application requirements
- In compliance with ST306158 Italian Railway (FS-Trenitalia) application requirements